Are you looking for long distance relationship survival tips and advice? Perhaps you started out in the same locality but one of you had to move away? Or maybe you’ve met someone online who live in another state? If so, you’ve come to the right place. Below are a few tips that can help you survive your long distance relationship.
Your Long Distance Relationship Survival Plan
Here are six suggestions which, if implemented, will make any long distance relationship survival chances much greater.
1. Make Use Of Webcam Chat – One of the best long distance relationship survival tips to implement is using a webcam to speak live with your partner. You don’t have to speak to your partner all day long, but having a conversation via webcam once per night can go a long way. You don’t have to sit on cam for hours, as even just 20-60 minutes can make all the difference in the world and with so many video chat apps out there, you can download one to your smartphone and speak to your partner while you’re on the go.
2. Make Time To Visit – All too often long distance relationships fail because the couple rarely sees each other in person. It’s important to make time to visit, even if the couple live in two different countries. There is always a way to make this work, and the visits do not have to be long visits, as even a week every now and then can make a difference and strengthen a relationship. If there is a lot of distance between you and your partner, then consider seeing your partner once every 2-3 months for a week at a time, or visit them once per month for a weekend if the distance is not that great.
3. Create Goals Together – It’s great to have separate goals from your partner and vice-versa, but you two should set goals that you would like to accomplish as a couple. Some of these goals can include setting a date when you guys will finally move in together and things of that nature. Setting goals will give you both something to work towards and this can strengthen the bond between you and your partner, so take the time to figure out what goals you both would like to accomplish as a couple.
4. Don’t Become Needy – If you and your partner want to survive your long distance relationship, then don’t become needy and the same goes for your partner. All too often, people end up becoming extremely needy with their partner and they expect messages all the time and random video chats as often as possible and things of that nature. When a person becomes needy, then it can put a lot of strain on the relationship and a lot of pressure on the other person. If the other person ends up feeling too overwhelmed, they may decide to end the relationship, so don’t become needy.
5. Show Affection – You don’t have to overdo it with the affection, but showing affection in a long distance relationship is crucial for survival. Affection doesn’t have to be physical. A simple email saying you miss your partner or you can’t wait to see them in person can go a long way. If you don’t show any affection at all or no affection is shown to you, then there’s a good chance the relationship won’t survive. Also, feel free to send your partner a traditional card that says you miss them or buy them a gift you can mail to them and things of that nature, because those are also good ways to show affection to your partner.
6. Work On Trust – One of the quickest ways to ruin a relationships is to have trust issues, and this is even more true for long distance relationships. If there is a lot of mistrust between you and your partner, this can create a lot of pressure and one of you can easily say you have had enough and end the relationship. If you find yourself having trust issues, then you need to figure out how to trust your partner more or take them for their word that you can trust them.
The above long distance relationship survival tips are just a few ideas for you to consider. However, they are some of the best tips to keep in mind. If you’re in a long distance relationship, or asking yourself whether this kind of relationship is workable, then refer back to this article and reread it and implement the above tips and your relationship should have a good chance at surviving.
Enjoy this video about keeping long distance relationships alive.